I was thinking back to when I started buying MAC lipsticks and how I was clueless about the different finishes of their lipstick.. So, hopefully this will help some of you when heading to MAC next.. 🙂
I think MAC probably makes one of the best lipsticks with many color options and different finishes.. The formula varies from:
1. Matte – Color with no shine or shimmer to it.. They are highly pigmented and a little goes a long way.. I usually pair these with a lip balm or a gloss on top since these can get quite drying on the lips.. Especially considering I have very dry lips.. but I purely love these for the pigmentation.. They are long lasting on my lips relative to other finishes and are my second favorite formula after MAC pro longwear..
2. Satin – This has the pigmentation of Matte lipsticks but with added moisture.. These are creamier and have good lasting power on the lips.. You may still need a lip balm or gloss after a few hours to add back some moisture to your lips.. I enjoy this kind of lipstick which combines moisture with pigmentation..
3. Cremeshene – These are highly creamy and probably the best selling formula by MAC.. These do not dry out the lips and have moisturizing properties.. These provide a medium coverage on the lips and can be built up.. These go on smoothly over the lips.. However, these are not very long-wearing and hence not my favourite finish..
4. Amplified creme – The pigmentation is good on these – ranging between medium to full coverage.. These have a soft creamy texture and last longer than cremesheens.. I typically don’t need added gloss with this finish..
5. Frost – As the name suggests, these are quite shimmery but go on very sheer.. These have a shiny, iridescent look.. For all these reasons, it is not my personal favourite..
6. Lustre – Highly glossy looking.. Coverage is sheer to medium.. it doesn’t stay on the lips for too long.. Can be a good option for low maintenance lipsticks since the color payoff is so sheer..
7. Glaze – These are the most sheer of the lot.. They have a glossy appearance and do not have much lasting power…
8. Pro longwear – The MAC website describes this finish as “Lightweight texture, creamy finish and comfortable longwear combine in this has-it-all pro-class lip colour. Slick in use, applies without need of a top coat- and still lasts up to 12 hours. Won’t feather or transfer, and the colour stays true. Helps lips stay soft and hydrated.”
These are probably my favorite MAC finish since they last very long on the lips.. I personally don’t like reapplying lip products constantly and this surely makes my job easy.. As the name suggests, these are extremely long wearing and have a relatively sticky feel to them which helps it to adhere better to lips.. I don’t get much peeling or drying of lips with this texture.. However, these are a bit tacky when one presses lips together.. Doesn’t bother me too much since I usually have lip gloss or balm over it..
9. Sheen Supreme – The MAC website describes this finish as “Combining the colour impact of a Lipstick with the shine sheen of a Lipglass, Sheen Supreme creates the perfect hybrid – with no compromise. Lightweight, non-sticky, slick to apply and comfortable to wear. This is a must-have for all those who have craved this kind of fusion.”
Extremely glossy looking without much staying power.. Not my favorite finish..
Swatches to demonstrate the different finishes.. I have 7 out of the 9 finishes – missing out on Frost and Glaze finishes..
Top Row: Matte
Bottom Row: Satin
Top Row: Satin
Bottom Row: Cremesheen
All 3 finishes together..
Top Row: Amplified Creme
Middle Row: Lustre
Bottom row: Pro Longwear
Top Row: Pro Longwear
Bottom row: Sheen Supreme